The top 10 websites I follow (and two bonus rewards!)
I was watching ESPN’s top 10 something, I honestly can’t remember what (it was after midnight), and since it’s nearing the end of 2013, I figured I’d make a top 10 list. Since I was reading my RSS feed on the train this morning, a top 10 websites was the first thing that popped in my head, but I’m sure I’ll be inspired for more before New Year’s. And so, (drumroll please), my top 10 favorite websites that I follow in no particular order:
1) Million Mile Secrets – Daraius puts out a great website, covering all facets of the game (frequent miling), from beginning to experts. He is a totally cool guy, with whom I’ve corresponded multiple times, and will actually answer your emails if you correspond with him.
2) Milevalue – Whereas the one before, and most others, teach you about how to rapidly accumulate miles, this one teaches you the best way to spend those miles efficiently and smartly. I’ve learned SO much from Scott’s blog about the best way to redeem miles.
3) Milenomics – Sam Simon authors this blog about the best way to accumulate and redeem miles in a way that maximizes value and minimizes headache and time. He and I co-authored a post on being your own elite program, and he is incredibly prolific and insightful, as well as responding to every email I’ve sent him. A great resource if you have a question about this game.
5) Military Money Manual – Yes, I have a conflict of interest, since I co-author posts on this blog, but if you’re in the military and care even a little bit about money, you MUST read this blog. Spencer has awesome articles covering just about every aspect of anything concerning money in the military.
6) Personal Finance Digest – Along the same lines as above, but geared for everybody, this blog has stuff that no other blog has, and I read every post.
7) Travel with Grant – This guy has amazing posts covering tons of different topics, and always has a unique perspective. Also nice that he doesn’t litter his blog with tons of credit card referral links (kind of like a certain blog I’ve heard of that covers military frequent flying 😉
8) Travel is Free – This guy Drew (good name 😉 travels full-time – literally all he and his wife travel all year round, and stay in hotels and fly all based on points. He has amazing posts, especially on hotel redemptions, and travel secrets (like BRGs! I have one coming up in Cartagena in the spring – Thanks Drew!)
9) Deals we Like – always has awesome deals on all sorts of cool stuff; for instance, if you have heard of the Amex Sync program, go there and check it out! I read this one usually right after reading the FrequentMiler.
10) I have a bunch of other blogs on my RSS feed (btw, I use Feedly as my RSS reader), and I could include them but it’d be like 20, so I’m just going based on what I normally read the most. So for my last one, I’ll pick a super-specialized blog that I read only because my wife and I have gotten into the arbitrage business, i.e. buying stuff cheap and selling it for (slightly) more, and accumulating points therein. I’ve been reading Big Habitat lately, where he basically looks for deals at office supply stores (Staples mostly), gets 5x points w/ Chase Ink credit card, and sells it for a profit on Amazon. I’ve been doing the same, and racking up Ultimate Rewards points, and a little bit of money as well. This isn’t for everyone, and I wouldn’t be able to do it without my wife to ship stuff.
So there’s my top 10 (for now anyways). I would LOVE it for readers to post different travel or points blogs that they’ve found helpful. Please include them in the comments.
Bonus: In fact, I will randomly (using a random number generator) pick two people who leave comments on this post, and tell them how to fly to Asia from the USA in Business Class SUPER cheaply, using a secret only very sophisticated travel hackers use! Please post your comments by Wednesday the 4th!