Courtesy of reader, Robert, we have this new tip.  Service Members in uniform and those with orders when in civvies, can access any American Admirals Club.

Admirals Club

I knew we could do this for US Airways back a few years ago, but hadn’t tried it on American.  You may get different answers depending on the club, but I expect this is a legacy of combining American and US Airways.  Here is the referenced language and the American website where it can be found:

Military

If you’re on active military duty, you have complimentary access to all Admirals Club lounges when traveling the same day on an American Airlines or US Airways operated flight. When you arrive, please present your:

I would print out this page, or have the URL in case one of the matron says she doesn’t know what you are talking about.  Note that I could find no such language for United Clubs, but have had success getting in there while in uniform.  The lady actually gave me the “duh, of course you can enter” look, but I haven’t seen this actually written so your mileage may vary.

Citi Prestige

Another technique of course is to apply for the Citi Prestige card.  This also gives you Admirals Club access.  It comes with a $450 annual fee, but here is a trick.  Each year the card gives you a $250 credit on an airfare charge in addition to 50,000 Thank You points and other benefits.  If you got the card now and paid $450, you could then get $250 off a plane ticket in 2015 and another $250 off in 2016. and then cancel the card before the annual fee for the next 12 months was charged!  That puts you $50 ahead with free Admirals Club access.

9 responses to “Free Access to Admirals Clubs for Military Members”

1. Matt says:

Good information! I have Delta and priority club access with the Amex platinum, but if I ever book an AA flight, I’ll give this a try.

2. […] News and notes from around the interweb: American gives free lounge access to the military […]

3. Mary says:

I’d love to see a review on all of the USO airport clubs. I’ve been to quite a few and think that some of them are just as nice if not nicer than the “for fee” clubs (considering they are free).

4. Terry says:

Admirals club is now only for military in uniform. This is what is reported on their website and what I was just told as I was trying to enter while on orders in civvies. This is a change, apparently recently.

5. Rodney J Doll says:

I was just denied in DFW after showing active duty military ID, was told I must have my uniform on!. What joke

6. Sean says:

United offers complimentary access to Active Duty Military flying on United the same day. Just need to show boarding pass and ID. It can be found on their website it is the first line under “other”. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/access.aspx

7. Glen B says:

What a joke? It’s a courtesy they are doing for the military. They also have to support their paying customers! Don’t expect free handouts just because you are military. Makes us all look bad.

• Brian Smith says:

Glen B it’s not a hand out but a privilege offered to our military and for those who have given years of their lives away from their families and loss of limbs or eyesight. I believe they should be provided the privilege such as access to a lounge as a simple demonstration of the finer things in life they continue to put theirs on the line for. As the majority of our military are 18-25, and likely don’t make as much money as you do, $450 is a large sum of money to pay for annual access. Providing access to a lounge without having to be in uniform or with orders, which unless on way to a deployment most military shouldn’t do, is a small step towards making a good program a great one. Just because the wars arent as publicized as much anymore doesn’t mean that our military shouldn’t be treated to anything but the best.

Blessed is the sheepdog watching over the unsuspecting sheep.