We are all familiar with getting the military/ federal government rates at most hotels when traveling TDY. Did you know that most of the major chains will also give you those rates when you are on vacation with your family? You should check both ways, regular rates and Gov’t rates, as I have often found that empty hotels will offer rooms at below Gov’t rates. Gov’t rates are particularly good in high cost areas. However, just like cheap airline seats, once a hotel sells however many rooms they set aside for that rate, it will become unavailable. The rule here is book early, you can always cancel and rebook as long as it is not at the last minute.
Here are what the major chains list for their Military/ Gov’t rates for personal use:
Government & Military
The most recognized name in the industry, Hilton Hotels & Resorts stands as the stylish, forward thinking global leader of hospitality. With more than 540 hotels and resorts in 76 countries across six continents, Hilton welcomes guests in more countries than any other full service hotel brand. If you are a state, federal or United States military employee, you can enjoy great savings with special government and military rates at participating Hilton Hotels & Resorts.
Marriott Military Link (Note their warning about some properties not allowing leisure stays)
Marriott Government & Military Per Diem Rate Qualification Guidelines
|Who is Eligible for Marriott’s Government Rates?||U.S. Federal Government Rates||State Government Rates||Local Government Rates||Canadian Federal Government Rates|
|U.S. Federal Government Employees||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|U.S. Military Personnel||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Cost-Reimbursable Government Contractors||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Other Government Contractors||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs) Employees||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Native American Tribal Government Employees||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Canadian Federal Government Employees||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Eligible|
|Canadian Military Personnel||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Eligible|
|U.S. State Government Employees||Not Eligible||Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|U.S. Local/County Government Employees||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Select Canadian Provincial Government Employees||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Eligible *
|Retired Military Personnel||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
|Dependents of Military Personnel||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible||Not Eligible|
* Note: Only government employees of the following five Canadian provinces and territories are eligible for the Canadian Federal Government rate:
Alberta, New Brunswick, Ontario, Yukon Territory, and Northwest Territories
Note: At most Marriott hotels the government rate is available to eligible guests regardless of whether they are traveling on business or pleasure. However, some hotels may only make the government per diem rate available to guests traveling on official business. Please check the hotel’s rate description for details. If the rate description states that the rate is only for guests traveling on official government business, please be prepared to present travel orders when checking in.
Choice Hotels Military Link (Note that you can join their Choice Privileges program and get Gold status just for being a military member)
Save big with hotel & travel deals for military and government personnel
Choice Hotels show their appreciation for military and government travelers with guaranteed discounts on one and two person rates at more than 2,700 participating properties. Active duty/retired military personnel, federal employees, cost reimbursable contractors and employees of foreign governments are eligible for the Choice Hotels military discount and government hotel rate program.
Government hotel rates are reserved for travel on official government business only for federal employees. Military personnel, their dependents and members of several government/military associations are extended the rate for official and leisure travel. An eligible party must occupy the room to qualify for this rate plan.
Competitive government rates* available to the following:
- Government/Military employees on official travel status
- Government reimbursement contractors on official government business
- Active/retired military or their dependants on leisure travel
- Members of certain government/military associates on leisure travel
- Appropriate identification will be required upon check-in
US Government / Military Hotel Discount
Best Western hotels are pleased to offer low discount hotel rates based on U.S. government per diem for government employees, military personnel traveling on official business or leisure.
- All federal and state government employees with credentials.
- Military personnel/civilian military personnel
- Tax funded hospital and university personnel
- Cost reimbursable contractors
How it Works
- Make a hotel booking online or call our Worldwide Reservation office at 1-800-WESTERN
- Present an official identification card or work orders at time of check in
- Don’t have an official identification card? You may apply in advance of your stay for a Best Western issued government traveler card. Please complete our online government application. If you qualify, your card will be sent to you electronically within 7-14 days.
- Questions? Contact our Government Representative at 623-780-6842
- Canadian Government Travelers: Most of our Canadian Best Western properties and many in the United States honor special Canadian Government discount hotel rates. Proof of Canadian Government identification or work orders at check in is all that is required. For further information and to make a reservation with the Canada Government discount rate, please visit our Canadian Government/Military Hotel Discount page.
Starwood (Note that this says you can only use Gov’t rates on official travel, so no love here)
Can I book Government Rates online?
Yes. Government rates can be booked online for Government employees on individual (non-group) government business-related travel. The eligible employees are U.S. Federal and State employees, National Government employees, active military personnel, Amtrak employees and Canadian Provincial employees. You will be required to provide the appropriate identification at check in. Please note that only one room can be booked per government employee.