Airline: Alaska www.alaskaair.com
FF Program: MileagePlan
Flights: A bunch to 96 airports
Alliance: None, but mini-network with AA, DL, EK which counts EQM.
Club: Boardroom(Cost=$295-400/ year depending upon Mileage Plan status)
Why fly Alaska?: The major airline flying out of ANC, SEA, and PDX. HAs special deals for Alaska residents if you are fortunate enough to live there. Has an alliance-like agreement with AA, DL, and EK which counts EQM on Mileage Plan and allows upgrade priviledges on DL within CONUS. Lower EQM requirements for status than other airlines.
FF Program at a glance: Alaska Airline’s program is a typical one where frequent flyers earn one mile for every mile flown. Bonuses are granted for RDMs based upon fare class and status. Bonuses are granted for EQM based upon fare class. Bonus RDMs are commonly announced as promotions for certain routes, but bonus EQM almost never granted.
Status is achieved at three levels. Status requirements are lower than most airlines due to the more limited network provided that you only count AS miles. If you include partner EQMs, the levels are similar to other airlines’ requirements. Status lasts from the date earned through the next calendar year to January 31st of the year after that. Soft landings generally do not occur and status can drop to GM immediately.
|Annual Qualification||MVP®||MVP® Gold||MVP® Gold75K|
|Flight miles flown solely on Alaska Airlines during a calendar year (January 1 through December 31)||20,000 miles||40,000 miles||75,000 miles|
|Flight miles flown on a combination of Alaska Airlines, AeroMexico, Air France, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, KLM, or LAN during a calendar year||25,000 miles||50,000 miles||90,000 miles|
|Flight segments flown on a combination of Alaska Airlines, AeroMexico, Air France, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, KLM, or LAN during a calendar year||30 segments||60 segments||90 segments|
Miles must be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account to qualify for MVP, MVP Gold, or MVP Gold 75K.
|Mileage Accrual||MVP®||MVP® Gold and 75K|
|Bonus Flight Miles earned on Alaska Airlines, AeroMexico, Air France, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, KLM, or LAN||50%||100%|
AS offers complimentary upgrades to First on all flights. Priority is by fare class and then by status. MVP Gold and Gold 75 members get four one way “guest” upgrade certificates per year to use for themselves or friends. Members with residency in Alaska may join Club49 for additional discounts including two one way 30% off certificates that can only be used within four days of a flight.
Tips and Tricks:
1. The Alaska Airlines Visa from B of A is one of the best cards out there. For a $75 you get a Companion Certificate for a $99 companion fare. The great thing about this Companion Certificate is that both parties earn EQM meaning this is a great deal for you and a FF buddy to get miles for half price. The real beauty is that you can each credit your miles to AS, DL,or AA depending on your choice of FF program.
2. The AS Boardroom membership includes admitance to another airlines club (generally AA or DL) in most other airports that AS flies to.
3. Gold and Gold75 members get one free drink when flying coach. Gold75’s get a free Digiplayer.
4. AS hosts Gold Luncheon (and Breakfasts) to MVP Gold and above members where their executives disclose airline and FF program changes prior to public disclosure. Tehse are also feedback sessions where I personally feel they listen.
5. MVP Gold75 members also get a 50k RDM bonus and four day passes to the Boardroom.