To read the latest on the Veterans Advantage Card, please go here.

I have to admit that I am one of those guys who follows the old rule “if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is”.  So when I came across the Veterans Advantage Card on the Deals & Offers tab on the new United.com website I was skeptical.  The main draw was a 5% discount on all United flights, but there were a host of other discounts including pretty much every rental car company, AMTRAK, Greyhound, and a bunch of stores.  The catch was that to join you needed to pay $60 plus a $4.95 handling fee.  Hmmm.  Let’s do the math, hey I’m an engineer, I like math.  So to recoup $64.95, I divide it by 0.05 and get $1299.  I would need to buy $1299 worth of United tickets to make this worthwhile.  I probably spend about $3000 on United per year, so that part works out.

I decided to investigate more.  The UA website link brings up a page giving some details of the program and touting the ability to get a free 30-day membership, but it didn’t really provide the detail I want before making a committment.  Going to the www.veteransadvantage.com website gave me the answers that I needed.  It lists the many programs involved, plus if you go to the Plan Options tab and then the Special Offers tab on the left side you will find two mutually exclusive options.  One allows you to get a 15% discount on the membership price ($51) and the other gives you a free companion ticket.

OK, so not much to risk, but I was still a little concerned that I would find that the 5% discount on United would only apply to a high fare class or be somehow limited.  I decided to take the plunge for the sake of my readers – what the heck it’s only $65.  The first thing after signing up and getting my member numbr and code for United was to take it for a spin.  Plugging the code into the Offer Code space on the search screen, I tried out an upcoming itinerary to attend my daughter’s graduation.  They said a blue star would appear on each fare to let you know the discount was being applied and sure enough it appeared on every single flight listed.  I was really surprised as I have had other United discount codes that only applied to a few flights when I tried them out.

OK, so the fare I wanted for a normal price of $762 was now only $724.  A modest savings of $38, but heck, that’s equal to a free dinner, I’ll take it.  So the ROI (return on investment) so far is already paying off as I just made back 58% of the money I put into this thing and I still haven’t got my rental car or hotel.

I’ll continue to report on my successes with this card over the coming year, but so far it seems like a good investment.  Check it out yourselves and let me know if you have any questions that I can try to answer.  Savings so far: $38.

66 Responses to “Experimenting with the Veterans Advantage Card”

1. Aarash says:

Thanks for being the Guinea Pig on this one! I’ve always seen this, but as you said – it seemed too good to be true. Did you end up using the 15% off offer, or the companion ticket offer?

2. Chris L. says:

Thanks Glenn. Please let us know if you find any value with the program besides the United discount. I toyed with it a few months back and it seemed that most of the discounts were through their shopping mall – in other words, you got the discount but gave up any mileage you’d get through another program’s mall (Freq Flyer, Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, etc.). And I just read your “about me” on the blog – congrats for getting selected onto the command list!

3. glenn says:

@Aarash – I am trying the companion ticket to see if that works. They sent me a form to fill out and send back for the certificate. Not sure how good that will be, but the 15% savings only amounted to $9, so I figured I’d try the ticket.

@Chris L. – Thanks!

4. this isn’t something I can personally take advantage of, but it’s a great find! Thanks for posting about it.

Also, you just earned some points in my book for being an engineer :)

5. btw, any chance that you’ll be at any of the upcoming frequent flyer events? (Frequent Traveler University in NYC or the Chicago Seminars)?

6. glenn says:

Unfortunately, I have military committments on both of those dates. Hopefully, I can be at a DO or other event in the future.

7. H. Gardner, USN Retired says:

I am a retired service member. I enrolled in the 30 day trial period and was not satisfied….for many reasons. First why should I as a veteran pay to have a business give me a discount for services they provide me…and if they are honorable …why have me pay to join an organization to get the discount. Why should I pay Veterans Affairs to get me a 15% discount on Amtrak…why doesn’t AmTrak advertise this service for all veterans without going through a 3rd party. Yes there are some benefits but are they worth $199.00 for a 3 year period. Do the math…you would almost have to use this thing exclusively to make it financially benefical to the average Joe six pack. Third…it will take for ever to get someone on the phone…I called on May 2nd (a Saturday) to cancel my 30 day trial and could not get through…so I called on Monday May 4th and had to get down right indignent to get my refund. Let the buyer be ware

8. Mike says:

Thank you for your insite on the program. I just reviewed the offer on United’s website and when I did the math it sounds like a complete win – win.
    The cost for 3 year’s is $150 + $5 = $155 – the $25 gift card = $130.00. We fly about 4 times a year at an average cost of $325 each per flight, so the companion ticket alone is worth more then twice the price paid.
    $325 – $130 = $195 in my pocket. Now add in the 5% savings ($179) on 11 more flights over 3 years and you end up with $195 + 179 = $374 in my pocket. And that’s just for traveling. Now that kind of deal sounds like a very nice, “Thank you for your service” if you ask me.

9. Dale Marcum says:

This is an honest attempt for some bright individual to make a buck off of veterans…the savings are minimal unless you are a duck and fly constantly…the biggest problem I find is this…Dear veteran we appreciate you so much that for a fee we will give you a discount on varied services and products. The sound of the genuine heartfelt sympathy is drowned out by the sound of the cash registers clicking away…

• Dave says:

You are so right on, Dale. In addition when this came up, when I was purchasing a ticket I didn’t know what to think. So I called United customer service and they didn’t have a clue. If United wants to honor me why not just give me the 5% discount? How much is this Scott fellow getting paid as well as the board of directors? I also could never get Veteran’s Advantage to answer the phone. Then maybe I would know?……… Doubt it.

10. Jo Patton says:

I just looked into the program and read everyone’s comments. And the really funny part about this whole gimmick is you don’t need the card to get the 10% or 15% discount for most all business that offers a discount. I do not have a card, and guess what, I ask every merchant I go to if they offer military or veterans a discount, and every single one of them that offers a discount, has given it to me w/no more than a flash of my ID. No questions ask, normally a pleasant smile and thank you for your service response. So people, the card may be required at some stores/business, but if you need their costly card to get a discount,than it’s not really a discount, and it’s not where you want to shop anyway. Go shopping! Ask the question, show your military ID or veterans ID and get the discount. You don’t need someones money making membership card scheme. We all signed up years ago to become members of the US Armed Forces, and we have paid our membership dues :) Thanks

11. glenn says:

@ Jo – Good luck flashing your ID at United Airlines and getting a discount. I wish it were that easy. Same goes for CVS, try flashing your ID card there are see. Yes, many merchants do offer a discount to all veterans and we should thank them for that, but I have saved much more than the cost of this card just on United Airlines alone.

• Tyler says:

I have looked at this VA Card and it’s touted advantages but I can only find a few instances where the card is necesary most discounts are already available for Veterans without the card. So what is the purpose of a card when I can get the same or better discounts with a few keystrokes and not spend any additional money doing so. The only thing of benifit I can find with the VA card is they are charging us to do the research to let us know what our benifits are and let’s face it everyone has to eat and no one works for free. This would be benificial for lazy individuals but most soldiers aren’t.

• glenn says:

@ Tyler – I pointed out in my reply to Robert, that a military ID will not get you the significant money savings on flights. That savings adds up to hundreds for me. I also don’t think that a military ID will get you the other travel discounts on trains, cars rentals, and hotels. Those are the discounts that concern me. Why don’t you do us a favor and conduct the research listing the exact discount we can receive on items just by showing military ID? I think many here would like to see that list.

12. Laurance Lancaster says:

On 12/4 I signed up for a ONE YEAR FREE trial membership. My VA disability doesn’t allow for vacations. But one never knows when 15% off AMTRAK might come in handy. At the end of the year I could cancel or pay membership.

Well, checking my bank balance the next day I discovered a debit of $59.95 on my account by Veteran’s Advantage. I called them and asked why. The reply was classic manipulative rhetoric built of logical fallacies and facts out of context. Eventually the rep relented and promised to cancel and refund in full, but wouldn’t tell me when my money would return. It only took them 3hrs to take it and he said maybe a week or two max!!!

I then started digging and learned that back in 2008 the Better Business Bureau had received numerous complaints against Veteran’s Advantage for the exact same thing that happened to me. Veterans Advantage assured the BBB that they had fix the ‘problem’ and that it wouldn’t happen anymore. That was four year ago!!

I don’t appreciate businesses who target Veterans for profit. Especially businesses owned by veterans and exploiting the various govt. policies giving tax and access advantages for such businesses.

It might seem trivial to many reading this. It isn’t by any means. Many business owners put profit over integrity and little stings like this one can and do add up to windfall profits in various ways.

I’ve filed complaint with BBB. Getting to the right person at AMTRAK – after all AMTRAK had to vet them before allowing them to market on AMTRAK’s site, has been an exercise in futility. Contacting the regional VA is all agents currently busy ‘click’ hell too.

So anyway, as in all such things. Works great for those with the discretionary funds needed to take advantage of the offers. Meanwhile those at the other end get gouged and basically brushed aside with little recourse and no one to lodge formal complaints to.

13. Curtis B says:

I can’t find anything about the Companion ticket on the Veterans’ Advantage website — can someone tell me the details?

• glenn says:

@ Curtis – I agree they don’t give you much in the way of details on the enrollment site, but here is how it works. After enrolling, they will send you a letter from a company (forget the name). Then you have to go on thier website and enter the PIN that they mailed you. Then they mail you a companion certificate that you can use to book through thier travel service. Glad you posted this, I still need to use mine!

14. Joan says:

Does Veterans Advantage actually require any verification of an applicant’s veteran status on their application for membership?

15. I am looking into VetAdv too and not being a frequent flyer/traveler what caught my eye was their (VetAdv) statement: “Veterans Advantage Members can now show their active “VetRewards” Card – at any Verizon Wireless Store nationwide — for 15% off new and existing monthly plans, 25% off accessories. — For smartphone users, you save $90 – $180 ANNUALLY.”

So now I am calling VZW to see if my current discount as a former employee of Verizon (NYTel when I was working, til the last few years as Verizon, but I do get a 22% discount (Thanks to the CWA Union)from my monthly VZW charges)

I am going to call VZW now and ask… “Can the VetAdv discount be used by me in any way, list what ways please.” I’ll post here what they (VZW) says.

REF: Call to VZW

What was good about the call was that I confirmed I already get a 25% (up from 22% from the VZ Employee Discount (after my 25 years working for VZ) on the monthly fees as well as new phone upgrades and accessories. — And as pretty much known, I can’t they (VZW) can’t apply any further discount to me ‘on top’ of what I’ve already got.

So now as I am interested in begining to travel the States via the likes of AMTRAK — what I still kind of like about what VetAdv is saying about the Life / Travel Insurance services member get.

Anyone here know much about that stuff? I am pretty sure my AMTRAK Guest Rewards Card includes travel Insurance (I’ll look into that). But I am wondering if that card and the VetAdv membership… hmmm, does the Life AD&D insurance coverage build ‘on top’ of one another (will both insurances pay if (God forbid) anything happen??? I wouldn’t mind that – Yah know? Or do insurance companies have some article in there somewhaere that only one will pay? Or they’ll split each paying a piece bring to a certain top payment?

16. Kimberly retired says:

FYI….Verizon has been giving me the 15% discount for years…based on me ASKING, and showing my ID card.

17. […] That a Knife?! TSA Rule Changesmilitary-flights on Space A Travel Made SimpleKimberly retired on Experimenting with the Veterans Advantage CardDonating Your Miles to Help the American Red Cross – The Military Frequent Flyer on Supporting the […]

18. […] Veterans Advantage card a year ago and the benefits I have received.  Scott Higgins, the president of VA, […]

• Dave says:

Scott,

I don’t like or appreciate that you have it worked out that I can not get a Veteran’s dicount on United Airlines without buying your card and most likely, in the end, paying you money.

19. David E Beaster says:

The thing is, if your retired and an AARP member you get a 10% discount on everything the VAC has. And a AARP membership cost you only 10 bucks a year.

20. glenn says:

@ Robert – I don’t believe your argument holds up. Point out to me which of those organizations gives me a 5% discount on United and Lufthansa? I have done the math and if you spend over $1299 on airfares on those airlines, then you are coming out ahead. The math is pretty simple and works out. I also do not understand the point about not verifying that the card holder is a veteran. What does that have to do with how much you save. I would also note that you would have a fee for being a member of AARP or AAA in order to get their discount.

21. Ralph says:

Glenn,
    After reading all your posts, one question presents itself: How long have you worked for VetAdv?

• glenn says:

@Ralph – I don’t work for Veterans Advantage and have never received any compensation from them. I pay the same membership rate as anyone, but obviously feel that it is a good value or I wouldn’t say so.

22. Dave says:

I now notice that both my comments have been removed from the blog. I responded to Dale in the affirmative and I also questioned why I had to buy a card from Scott to get a discount. Is the Col a friend of Scott?

• glenn says:

@Dave – I have never removed anyone’s posts once they are posted. There is a procedure here at BoardingArea.com that bloggers need to approve posts before they are seen. Otherwise this site would be full of spam. My spam counter is showing 795. I also work for a living so don’t expect me to approve your posts two minutes after you post them. If you think United should just give you a 5% discount, go ahead and write them. And yes, I would like to consider Scott a friend although I have never met him. he was very nice when I interviewed him last year. At least he is out there trying to arrange for discount for veterans, they don’t just happen by themselves. You may think the companies should do it, but if they did then you wouldn’t have a complaint, right?

23. Dave says:

Glenn – Did I jump the gun on the blog being removed, well don’t know? I just know that my response to Dale was there for a while with no temporary message that I could see, and then wasn’t there. Ok on the spam. I understand that. My beef is that United, because of Veterans Advantage, will not give a discount to a Veteran unless he pays his money to Veterans Advantage. Yes, Veterans Advantage is probably a good deal for some Veterans. But I doubt most. But there is more to this than just money. Then Verterans Advantage seems to be about money, ie for them? I wonder if Veterans Advantage gives money back to United? Otherwise why wouldn’t United give a discount to a Veteran? The above is just speculation for Veterans Advantage couldn’t give me an answer on that. Dave

24. Carolyn says:

I need to buy about $1700 worth of tickets soon. One is international, 2 are US. Some questions pls…
    Any problem with Internl as long as start & ret to US?
    Is it effective immediately (i.e. do I get a code & plug in to UA website the same day)?
    Only for my ticket or if I purchase my husband’s ticket at the same time, will the discount cover his too?
    If I get the 30 day trial, do they take my CC info & bill before I get a chance to try them for 30 days?
    Thank you!!!

• glenn says:

@Carolyn – No problem with Int’l. I just bought a BWI-SIN ticket and got my discount. I do not recall it being immediate as you need to get your membership number from them which comes in the mail – you might be able to call and expedite or at least have them tell you your membership number. After that, you just plug your number into United.com. You can get discounts on both your tickets. I believe that they get your CC info and charge you and then refund if you are not satisfied.

25. Lorna VanderZanden says:

@glenn, any luck using the companion certificate? Can you give us an idea of the restrictions on it?

• glenn says:

@ Lorna – I did use the companion fare and got some discount from it. It is not based upon the lowest possible fare, but on a higher fare basis throguh the company issuing the certificate. I saved about $100 over buying two of the lowest fares. Not great, but hey it’s $100, right?

26. Roger says:

I purchased the card to receive a verizon wireless discount on my monthly bill. When I called verizon to give them my member number they said I didn’t need it. All I needed to do is attach my dd214 to my verizon account and I would receive a 15% discount. No need for veterans advantage.

27. Bill says:

Glenn appears to spend considerable time pushing advantages of VetAdvantage. If not a shill, what then? I agree that the organization is taking advantage (making money) off the backs of veterans. As a WWII combat infantryman that survived various battles – while friends did not – I object to being used by both Veterans Advantage and the companies that they have made deals with. I have found that Lowes gives a straight 10% to all vets unlike Home Depot that has pulled back with restrictions. I will tend to not use vendors that require membership from AARP – the biggest offender of all – in order to get discount. It is about money making – at the expense of other consumers.

• glenn says:

@Bill – If you can get the discounts without getting Veterans Advantage, then don’t get a membership. Same with AARP. However, I don’t know anyone who has successfully walked up to a United counter and said “I’m a veteran, please give me 5% off my ticket price”. Same with AARP, I would love to get their discount at hotels (same with AAA), but hotels don’t generally give you a discount for nothing. That’s just the way life is.

BTW, had great success this weekend shopping where a store clerk saw mmy CAC card which is in a see through sleeve on the outside of my wallet and they gave me a military discount. Places like American Eagle – who knew! I encourage you to ask for a veterans discount and let’s us know how you succeed, I am just sure that you won’t get it at airlines or hotels which is mainly what this blog is about.

Thanks for reading, Glenn. p.s. If I was a shill, I would actually make money from this blog which is definitely not the case.

• David W says:

home depot will give a 10% discount at the register if you can present any form of military ID, I use my VA card. They have changed their policies & it can be done without a manager/ I go to Home Depot far more than Lowes because of the ease at checkout. Lowes managers must approve the transaction at any store I have tried this at.

• glenn says:

@ David – Thanks, yes I have saved a lot of money at both Home Depot and Lowe’s over the years. Good tip for everyone!

28. Mo Bigsley says:

Some states like Virginia, you can obtain a veterns card from the DMV. Just send in or bring a copy of your discharge papers. You have to be in person to use the card at a store but I’ve gotten many discounts. You do have to spend $10 for the official ID card but it’s worth it.

29. Ted says:

Thanks for the info on VetDiscount but thanks more for the blog and thanks to all the bloggers who posted. After reading it all, I canned the idea of buying a VetDiscount card. Here are some reasons why.
    1. I don’t want to have to fly United to get a 5% discount. Even with all the mergers, airline fares are very competitive (and constantly changing). I just came back from a RT from FLL to AUS and saved much more than 5% flying Southwest instead of UA.
    2. I just got a “V” (for veteran) applied to my Florida driver’s license by presenting my DD214 in person to the FL drivers license bureau. I’ve saved over $100 in the past month at Home Depot and Lowes who both honor this at the cash register. I ask other venders if they have a veterans discount and many say yes.
    3. The insurance benefits are not valuable as they are available when using my AMEX card. What would be really valuable is a discount off travel cancellation insurance which us old folks unfortunately now need. Not offered with VetDiscount.
    4. I don’t want to be tied to buying at one on-line mall or at one store. Save much more via competitive offers and shopping.
    So, thanks for the review on VetDiscount, but I’ll pass and recommend to others that they carefully review this before committing $.

30. Scott M. says:

Glenn, thanks for the info on Veteran’s Advantage. A lot of the comments seem to be hammering on you hard for membership benefits not being all that they want people to think they are…not sure why people are getting all bent out of shape over it. Everyone should look at the terms closely, and decide for himself or herself whether it is worth buying a membership. As a retired NCO from the National Guard, I checked Veteran’s Advantage out and decided it wasn’t for me. I get a military discount from a lot of places with my retired ID, and usually don’t fly United more than once a year. But I am not going to castigate you for suggesting that I consider joining.

The only recommendation I have is that you consider posting on the benefits of joining USAA, and maybe Navy Federal/Pentagon credit unions. I realize that those are financial topics rather than travel related, but they could be helpful to other servicemembers out there.

Also, Louisiana gives you the option to add “Veteran” to your driver’s license or state ID card, at no additional cost.

31. Dennis says:

Glenn, I joined Veterans Advantage to take advantage of the 5% discount on United Flights. Guess what? I did the math and the discount only amounted to 2.8%. What gives?

• glenn says:

@Dennis – United gives you 5% off the fare, but the Government taxes and the 9/11 security fee remain the same so it won’t be exactly 5%. However, 2.8% sounds too low even with that. I would call United and ask why your new fare is not closer to the 5% and they can go through the breakdown of the fare, taxes and fees with you.

Glenn

32. Tiffani M says:

Thanks for the review tip on Veterans Advantage

33. marc says:

hey i wanna travel to europe this summer for a few weeks. anyone think ill save money? not sure i trust the membership fee and giving out my military info online?

• glenn says:

@ Marc – Do some research and figure out what you will spend on airfare. Vet Adv gives you 5% off United and Lufthansa. Spend over $1200 and you’ll come out ahead just on airfare, not to mention the other benefits such as rental car and hotels. You don’t need to give out any military information to apply for membership, it is basically the honor system. While there could be some fraud with this method, you don’t have to worry about sending in sensitive personal info.

34. Dan Leifker says:

Hi Glenn, thanks for the information you posted. I signed up for Veteran’s Advantage today and was pleasantly surprised by how many United flights were offered with the full 5% discount. Even business class tickets to Europe, and even flights operated by other Star Alliance carriers. But then I tried Lufthansa, going to the special Lufthansa portal from the Veteran’s Advantage website. I couldn’t find a single flight that offered any discount or showed a price less than the price on the public Lufthansa site. I fly to Germany a lot and would love the discount… have you had any success with Lufthansa? They’re my favorite airline.

35. Par Larsson says:

Thank you, Mr. Engineer. – Non-engineer. That was rather insightful, esp. the part about $1299 to recoup. I’ll pass then.

36. del says:

maybe true—but in most cases a normal person can get the same discounts in other ways

37. David W says:

Hi, just a quick note on my experiences. I took the 30 day free trial, for me & the wife I paid about 15 bucks.adding the wife was useless since I make all the reservations her card is not needed … ever. anyways before the 30 days had lapsed I was billed $89.92 for a year membership that had not been ordered. I was able to use the hotel & flight discounts but found I could have received these without being a member of this “club”. I have canceled my membership, wow that was quick, all data erased in seconds after the phone call but I am still waiting for a refund. I must note the cancellation process was painless,I was not harassed or offered anything to stay. I just hope to get my money back now. bI wish you all the best of luck

• glenn says:

@ David – Sorry that it did not work out. Curious how you say that you can get airline discounts without the card. Could you be more specific? I don’t know any other way to get 5% off of UA, Lufthansa or any other airline just for being a SM. I am sure others would like to find out so they can take advantage too.

38. Samson says:

I am an honorable discharged with DD214 (6 years of services) in the the 1980s. DD214 is the only form of proofs that I had served in the Army. Can I apply for the Veteran Advantage?

If so, my 2nd question is…Can I use the 5% advantage on UA airlines for international travel for my spouse and 2 kids WITHOUT me travel along?

About the companion ticket…is it also apply for international travel as well?

• glenn says:

@ Samson – Yes you are eligible and they will take your word on your service. Yes, you can buy the tickets for your family with your discount.,, and no, it is not good for international travel.

39. Shane says:

So the 5% discount on UA excludes international flights?

• glenn says:

@ Shane – No, you can use them for international fares, but the flight has to originate in the U.S. or Canada. Here is the language: United is proud to thank U.S. Active Duty Military, Veterans, National Guard and Reserve members, and their families for their service by offering Veterans Advantage® members a 5% discount on tickets for United- and United Express®-operated flights purchased on united.com. Members can also receive a 5% discount on tickets purchased on united.com for flights that are marketed by United and operated by Air Canada or Lufthansa.* Flights must originate in the U.S. or Canada to be eligible.

40. David says:

I learned a lot from your posts, the Verizon discount was new to me! I applied for it at Verizon’s website. What an informative and pleasant discussion you all had.

41. Lola says:

Very interesting discussion. I got a link from CVS for $20 off the year membership making it $39.95. The program says dependents are eligible which is why I am considering joining (my father served in the Army). I don’t know any other program that lets dependents join directly. Does anyone else?

42. Lynda says:

FYI – I’ve received a military discount at quite a few hotels. The amount varies. I am retired and typically am asked to show the ID at check in. No other memberships required – just ask or check the hotel website when making reservations. I also have AAA but the military is typically a better discount.

43. Johnd233 says:

whoah this blog is wonderful i like reading your articles. fgacdcdkgkcd

44. Rick says:

I am a United MileagePlus member and had thought about doing this, but after reading some of the comments, I don’t think it would be beneficial to me since I don’t travel that often. I really wish there was some type of really good veterans discounts that United would offer to disabled vets without us having to spend additional money. I even tried to figure out how I could upgrade my premier status with United, but I it seems like a person has to be either rich or travel a lot to do that – doesn’t seem to apply to us ordinary, normal, low income disabled vets. And I find it funny that even dear Commander In Chief Obama keeps saying that he’s working to make life better for disabled veterans – certainly not in my lifetime!

45. Wilfred says:

After looking over a handful of the blog articles on your site, I seriously like your way of writing a blog.
    I saved as a favorite it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the
    near future. Take a look at my website as well and let me know your
    opinion.

46. Therese says:

What a great blog! It’s now duly saved in my “favorites”. Thank you & may God reward you for the time/effort it must require to create/keep it up.